Istikhara: The Guidance Prayer
Question Answered by Shaykh Faraz Rabbani
Reprinted from SunniPath.com
Question: Several folks I do know are confused on the subject of salat ul- Istikhara. Is it meant to be prayed a number of days in a row till a call is made, or solely as soon as? Is it meant to be prayed after one has just about made up their thoughts, or when somebody hasn’t actually found out what to do? Are their numerous legitimate opinions?
Answer: Assalamu alaikum,
When one shouldn’t be clear about the results of the istikhara, the fuqaha point out that it’s suggest to repeat it, as much as seven occasions if vital (normally carried out on separate events). [cf: Radd al-Muhtar]
Getting a Dream?
It shouldn’t be vital that you just get a dream or perhaps a “feeling.” Rather, the istikhara is a prayer that Allah information you in the direction of that which is greatest (khayr) for you. If you do the prayer of steering (istikhara) with the correct manners, a very powerful of which is to actually consign the matter to Allah and droop your individual inclinations, then Allah will make occasions unfold within the route that’s the greatest in your worldly and next-worldly affairs.
In basic, when it’s not doable to carry out the istikhara prayer itself (resembling when one is out on the highway, or in a single’s menstrual interval), it’s endorsed to easily learn the dua itself. [Radd al-Muhtar]
The istikhara prayer could also be made for a selected matter or be made for a basic searching for of all that’s greatest. Some students, together with Imam Abd al-Wahhab al-Sha`rani and Ibn `Arafah earlier than him noticed this sort of (particular) istikhara prayer as being superior.
Others, together with Shaykh Ibn al-Arabi, beneficial performing a basic istikhara prayer for all that’s good every single day, ideally on the time of the Duha prayer (after dawn).
Before Istikhara Prayer
Imam al-Nawawi talked about that earlier than the istikhara prayer, one ought to search recommendation (istishara) from these whose data, knowledge, and concern one is assured.
Ibn Hajar al-Haytami and others talked about that one of many advantages of that is to additional distance oneself from the needs of 1’s personal egotistic inclinations.
Opening the Prayer
It is beneficial to open the dua of istikhara [below], with reward of Allah and sending blessings on the Prophet (Allah bless him & give him peace), and to shut it on this method, too.
Like different duas, it’s endorsed that one face the qibla. It is disliked to ‘hasten’ in searching for the reply to 1’s istikhara, similar to different duas, as a result of the Prophet (Allah bless him & give him peace) mentioned, “Your prayers are answered, unless you hasten, saying, ‘I prayed, but no answer came.'”
One ought to be happy with what Allah chooses for one, and never search to observe one’s whims after the reply to 1’s supplication turns into clear.
There is a pious girl in our group who has provided to wish istikhara for me to assist me decide for marriage…. [ …. ] my query to you is that if you understand if this concept of counting on another person’s istikhara is a good suggestion and suitable with the teachings of Islam on the best way to make dua and selections. Should I observe her recommendation (in accordance with her desires and emotions) to me on this concern or not?
This is one means you may take: to hunt the istikhara of a pious particular person. The permissibility of this was talked about explicitly by the Malikis and Shafi`is. The Hanafis don’t seem to have mentioned this concern [al-Mawsu`a al-Fiqhhiyya, Kuwait], however there’s nothing in it that might point out its impermissibility. Rather, it’s merely the taking of a way, which is permitted so long as one is aware of that the one who offers and takes, advantages and harms is Allah alone.
In such instances, although, one shouldn’t depart doing the istikhara oneself…
CONCERNING THE RITUAL PRAYER FOR GUIDANCE IN CHOOSING THE BEST OPTION [SALAT AL-ISTIKHARA], AND THE PRAYER OF SUPPLICATION [DU’A’] APPROPRIATE TO IT.
According to a standard report transmitted on the authority of Muhammad ibn al-Munkadir, it was Jabir ibn ‘Abdi’llah (could Allah be nicely happy with him and together with his father) who mentioned:
“Allah’s Messenger (Allah bless him and provides him peace) used to show us the best way to search steering in selecting the best choice out there in a sensible enterprise [al-istikhara fi ‘l-amr], simply as he would generally train us a Chapter [Sura] from the Qur’an.:
“‘If one in every of you is anxious about some sensible endeavor, or about planning for a journey, he ought to carry out two cycles of formality prayer [rak’atain], not as an compulsory observance [farida], however voluntarily. Then he ought to say:
‘”O Allah, I ask You to point out me what’s greatest, by means of Your data, and I ask You to empower me, by means of Your energy, and I urge You to grant me Your great favor, for You have energy, whereas I’m with out energy, and You have data, whereas I’m with out data, and You are the One who is aware of all issues invisible.
(Allahumma inni astakhiru-ka bi-‘ilmi-ka wa astaqdiru-ka bi-qudrati-ka wa as’alu-ka min fadli-ka ‘l-‘azim fa-inna-ka taqdiru wa la aqdiru wa ta’lamu wa la a’lamu wa Anta ‘Allamu ‘l-ghuyub):
O Allah, if You know that this endeavor is in the perfect pursuits of my faith, my life on this world, and my life within the Hereafter, and may yield profitable leads to each the quick time period and the long run, then make it doable for me and make it simple for me, after which bless me in it.
(Allahumma in kunta ta’lamu anna hadha ‘l-amra khairun li fi dini wa dunyaya wa akhirati wa ‘aqibati amri wa ‘ajili-hi wa ajili-h :fa-‘qdir-hu li wa yassir-hu li thumma barik li fi-h):
If not, then flip it away from me, and make it simple for me to do nicely, wherever I’ll occur to be, and make me content material with Your verdict, O Most Merciful of the merciful.'”
(wa illa fa-‘srif-hu ‘an-ni wa yassir liya ‘l-khaira haithu kana ma kuntu wa raddi-ni bi-qada’i-ka ya Arhama ‘r-rahimin).”
The info introduced right here is copyright of Al-Baz Publishing, Inc. and is probably not reproduced by any means for distribution or industrial achieve.
Copyright holder grants to reader license to print single copy for private use or examine solely.
The South African Jamiatul Ulama Transvaal collected this:
The Etiquette of Du’â
These etiquettes are narrated within the Hadith. For causes of brevity, solely the next abstract and reference of every Hadith is talked about as an alternative of the complete Hadith.
- To abstain from haraam meals, clothes and earnings. (Muslim : Tirmidhi)
- To make Duaa with sincerity. In different phrases, one ought to firmly consider that no one however Allah Ta’aala will fulfill his goals. (Haakim)
- One ought to carry out an excellent deed prior to creating the Duaa & he ought to point out this throughout the course of the Duaa. For e.g. He ought to say, O Allah! I had carried out so & so deed solely for Your pleasure. O Allah! settle for my Duaa as a result of barkat of that deed. (Muslim, Tirmidhi, Abu Dawud).
- To make Duaa while one is paak & clear. (Tirmidhi, Abu Dawud, Ibn Majah, Nasai, Ibn Hibbaan, Mustadrak).
- To make wudhu earlier than the Duaa (All six main hadith collections)
- To face the Qiblah (All six main hadith collections)
- To sit as within the Tashahhud place (Abu Awanah)
- To reward Allah Ta’aala at the start in addition to on the finish of Duaa (All six main hadith collections)
- To convey Durood upon Rasulullah (pbuh) at the start in addition to the tip. (Abu Dawud, Musnade-Ahmad)
- To unfold out each the fingers. (Tirmidhi, Mustadrak)
- To elevate each the fingers as much as the shoulders (Abu Dawud, Musnade-Ahmad)
- To sit with humility and respect. (Muslim, Abu Dawud, Tirmidhi, Abu Dawud)
- To point out ones helplessness and dependence. (Tirmidhi)
- To abstain from elevating the eyes in the direction of the sky while making Duaa (Muslim)
- To point out the Asmaal-Husnaa (the names of Allah Ta’aala ) and the chic qualities of Allah Ta’aala. (Ibn Hibbaan and Mustadrak)
- To abstain from ceremonies rhyming of the Duaa phrases (Bukhari)
- To abstain from saying the Duaa in a “sing-song” tone if the Duaa is in a poetic kind (Hisn)
- To make the Duaa in a mushy voice (All six main hadith collections on the authority if Abu Musa)
- To utter the Duaa phrases transcribed from Rasulullah Sallalahu Alayhi Wasallam as a result of Rasulullah Didn’t omit a single want of the Deen nor of the dunya while educating us the best way to make Duaa (Abu Dawud/Nasai)
- To make a Duaa that encompasses a lot of the wants of Deen and the dunya. (Abu Dawud)
- To make Duaa in favour of oneself first, thereafter ones mother and father and to incorporate the opposite Muslims within the Duaa as nicely (Muslims)
- If the Imam is making Duaa, he shouldn’t make Duaa for himself solely however he ought to Include all of the congregants within the Duaa (Abu Dawud, Tirmidhi, Ibn Majah)
- Abu Dawud (R.A.) Narrates that Rasulullah Said that the Imam who makes Duaa for himself solely, has betrayed the folks.” In other words, the Imam should not Make a Duaa that is restricted to him alone. For e.g. He should not say, “O Allah! treatment my son.” or “O Allah! Return my misplaced merchandise.” etc. but he should make a Duaa that includes all the congregation for e.g. He may say “O Allah! Forgive us and have mercy upon us.”
- To make Duaa with agency conviction (for e.g. he shouldn’t say: “O Allah! If you wish fulfil so and so task of mine.” (All six main hadith collections)
- To make Duaa with enthusiasm & craving. (Ibn Hibbn & Abu Awana).
- As far as doable endeavour to deliver a couple of “presence of heart and mind” and cherish a excessive hope of the Duaa being accepted. (Haakim)
- To make Duaa repeatedly. (Bukhari, Muslim)
- This repetition ought to be at the least thrice (Abu Dawud)
- Note One could repeat the Duaa thrice in a single sitting or he could repeat it on three totally different events. The “repetition of the Duaa” may be interpreted in each methods.”
- To make Duaa earnestly and insistently. (Nasai, Hakim, Abu awanah)
- To abstain from making Duaa of severing household ties or different sins. (Muslim, Tirmidhi)
- Avoid making Duaas of pre-determined and glued issues (for e.g. lady shouldn’t make a duaa of being remodeled into a person or a tall particular person should not make Duaa thus: “O Allah! Make me short.” and many others) (Nasai).Don’t Make Duaa for inconceivable issues. (Bukhari)
- Don’t make a Duaa during which you ask Allah Ta’aala to restrict His mercy to your self solely (Bukhari, Abu Dawud, Nasai, Ibn Majah)
- Ask solely Allah Ta’aala alone for all of your wants. Do not rely upon His creation. (Tirmidhi/Ibn Hibbaan)
- The one making the Duaa in addition to the particular person listening to it, each ought to say ‘Aameen’ on the finish. (Bukhari, Muslim, Abu Dawud, Nasai)
- Rub each fingers over the face on the termination of the Duaa (Abu Dawud, Tirmidhi, Ibn Hibbaan, Majah, Hakim)
- Don’t be impatient over the acceptance of Duaas. In different phrases, do not say: “I’ve made Duaa repeatedly but to no avail.” (Bukhari, Muslim, Abu Dawud, Nasai, Ibn Majah)
Originally posted on February 15, 2019 @ 9:49 am